You generate an SSH key through macOS by using the Terminal application. Once you upload a valid public SSH key, the Triton Compute Service uses SmartLogin to copy the public key to any new SmartMachine you provision.
- Generate New Public Key Mac Torrent
- What Is Public Key
- Generate New Public Key Mac Pro
- Public Key Definition
Generate New Public Key Mac Torrent
Joyent recommends RSA keys because the node-manta CLI programs work with RSA keys both locally and with the ssh agent. DSA keys will work only if the private key is on the same system as the CLI, and not password-protected.
- Supported SSH key formats. Azure currently supports SSH protocol 2 (SSH-2) RSA public-private key pairs with a minimum length of 2048 bits. Other key formats such as ED25519 and ECDSA are not supported. Create an SSH key pair. Use the ssh-keygen command to generate SSH public and private key files. By default, these files are created in the.
- Note: You can run Putty.exe on Mac OS X following this guide. Open Putty and create a new connection. We will point to our private key file (.ppk). Go to Connection - SSH - Auth and load the.ppk file here. This can be tricky, ensure your creating a new connection in Putty and saving it so it remembers the key we just imported. Try connecting.
Terminal is the terminal emulator which provides a text-based command line interface to the Unix shell of macOS.
To open the macOS Terminal, follow these steps:
About MAC Address Generator. The MAC Address Generator is used to generate a random MAC address, in lower or upper case for your convenience. The tool can generate four most commonly used types of MAC address formats and it is also allowed to specify your preferred MAC address prefix (specific OUI – Organizationally Unique Identifier).
- In Finder, choose Utilities from the Applications folder.
- Find Terminal in the Utilities listw.
- Open Terminal.
The Terminal window opens with the commandline prompt displaying the name of your machine and your username.
Generating an SSH key
An SSH key consists of a pair of files. One is the private key, which should never be shared with anyone. The other is the public key. The other file is a public key which allows you to log into the containers and VMs you provision. When you generate the keys, you will use
ssh-keygen to store the keys in a safe location so you can bypass the login prompt when connecting to your instances.
To generate SSH keys in macOS, follow these steps:
Enter the following command in the Terminal window.
This starts the key generation process. When you execute this command, the
ssh-keygenutility prompts you to indicate where to store the key.
Press the ENTER key to accept the default location. The
ssh-keygenutility prompts you for a passphrase.
- Type in a passphrase. You can also hit the ENTER key to accept the default (no passphrase). However, this is not recommended.
You will need to enter the passphrase a second time to continue.
After you confirm the passphrase, the system generates the key pair.
Your private key is saved to the
id_rsa file in the
.ssh directory and is used to verify the public key you use belongs to the same Triton Compute Service account.
|Never share your private key with anyone!|
Your public key is saved to the
id_rsa.pub;file and is the key you upload to your Triton Compute Service account. You can save this key to the clipboard by running this:
What Is Public Key
Importing your SSH key
Generate New Public Key Mac Pro
Now you must import the copied SSH key to the portal.
- After you copy the SSH key to the clipboard, return to your account page.
- Choose to Import Public Key and paste your SSH key into the Public Key field.
- In the Key Name field, provide a name for the key. Note: although providing a key name is optional, it is a best practice for ease of managing multiple SSH keys.
- Add the key. It will now appear in your table of keys under SSH.
Public Key Definition
You may see a password prompt like this:
This is because:
- You did not enter the correct passphrase.
- The private key on your Macintosh (
id_rsa) does not match the public key stored with your Triton Compute Service account.
- The public key was not entered correctly in your Triton account.
What are my next steps?
Right in the portal, you can easily create Docker containers, infrastructure containers, and hardware virtual machines.
In order to use the Terminal to create instances, set up
triton and CloudAPI as well as the
triton-docker commandline tool.