PuTTYgen is an key generator tool for creating SSH keys for PuTTY. It is analogous to the ssh-keygen tool used in some other SSH implementations. The basic function is to create public and private key pairs. PuTTY stores keys in its own format in.ppk files. However, the tool can also convert keys to and from other formats.
You can generate an SSH key on Windows using the PuTTY SSH client. You can download PuTTY for free from this URL.
To generate a key with PuTTY, you should:
- Download and start the puttygen.exe generator.
- In the 'Parameters' section choose SSH2 DSA and press Generate.
- Move your mouse randomly in the small screen in order to generate the key pairs.
- Enter a key comment, which will identify the key (useful when you use several SSH keys).
- Type in the passphrase and confirm it. The passphrase is used to protect your key. You will be asked for it when you connect via SSH.
- Click 'Save private key' to save your private key.
- Click 'Save public key' to save your public key.
Putty Key Generator Download For Windows 8 0
- May 10, 2015 PuTTY Key Generator, a.k.a. PuTTYgen (an RSA and DSA key generation utility), is a free utility which generates keys for use with PuTTY SSH client, PuTTY authentication Pageant, and other programs in the PuTTY line.
- This page contains download links for the latest released version of PuTTY. Currently this is 0.73, released on 2019-09-29. When new releases come out, this page will update to contain the latest, so this is a good page to bookmark or link to.
For more information on how to load the key and connect via SSH using PuTTY, please check this tutorial.
Windows 10 Key Generator Download
You find this article useful? Click here to learn more about SiteGround web hosting experts and what else we can do for you!